HomeMission AreasTrusted WorkforceDVDVROCMaintaining a Personnel Security Clearance


Maintaining a Personnel Security Clearance

Maintaining the Personnel Security Clearance record in JPAS is the responsibility of the industrial contractor.

Identifying Consultant, Contractor and Key Management Personnel (KMP) in JPAS

NISPOM Paragraph 3-106 requires that an individual issued an initial personnel security clearance (PCL) execute a Classified Information Nondisclosure Agreement (SF-312) prior to being granted access to classified information and that the completed form is forwarded to the Cognizant Security Agency for retention. The Facility Security Officer (FSO) is responsible for annotating the Joint Personnel Adjudication System (JPAS) with the date the SF-312 was executed and submitting the completed SF-312 to Vetting Risk Operations Center (VROC) for retention. The new, preferred method of transmission is via fax, this allows for a more expedient entry into our systems.
SF-312s should be faxed or emailed:
Fax Number: (443) 661-1140 ATTN: SF-312
If using the fax method, please include the following information on the cover letter:

  • FSO Name
  • FSO Phone Number
  • FSO Fax Number
  • FSO Email Address
  • Subject Name
  • Subject SSN

Email Address: dss.ncr.dss-isfo.mbx.psmo-i@mail.mil. When using the email option, password protect the file in the first email and send the actual password in a separate email.

FSOs will be notified to resubmit a new SF-312 if:

  • Employee Social Security Number is incomplete or omitted
  • Signature of employee is typed or omitted
  • Witness signature is typed or omitted
  • Employee and witness signature dates not the same

Changing PID information when industry employees have DoD Categories

Industry is unable to modify a record in JPAS to correct Personally Identifiable Information (PII) such as name or date of birth if the record has one or more active DoD categories.

  • If the person does have an active relationship with the DoD person category, e.g. active duty, reservist, civilian, etc., the person should contact their Personnel Support Detachment (PSD), Human Resources Office (HRO), or Personnel Center to affect this change. The PID information in JPAS is being fed from the information on file with the PSD, HRO or Personnel Center. Once the PSD, HRO or Personnel Center information is current the security officer should be able to verify the PID change in JPAS.
  • If the person does NOT have an active relationship with the DoD Person category, but the DoD category is showing as active on the record in JPAS, please submit a Research, Recertify or Upgrade (RRU) or CSR in DISS to the Vetting Risk Operations Center (VROC). The RRU submission should contain information pertaining to the PID change and the date this person separated affiliation with the DoD person category.
    • A data manipulation request will be sent to effect the PID change in JPAS.
    • Efforts will be made to have the DoD Person Category post a separation date in JPAS which will enable Industry to modify the record for future changes.

Please Note: The Defense Eligibility Enrollment Reporting System (DEERS) is not a personnel center and cannot make PII-related JPAS modifications. The JPAS Help Desk cannot assist in the correction of PID.

SSN Changes

FSOs can make changes to personal identification data with the exception of the SSN. When an SSN change is required, the request must be submitted to VROC using the Research request. Do not build the new SSN into the JPAS prior to requesting the change. The SMO should pull the person into their Personnel Security Management (PSM) Net and update the Person Category with the Industry Category, Classification and Cage Code.

Alias – Add, Modify or Delete

An authorized JPAS user can add, modify, and delete an alias for a person. The following guidance should be used when entering or modifying the alias for a person:

  • Do not enter an alias if the person's last name and first name match and the alias name only reflects an initial for the middle name
  • Do not enter an alias if it is a single name (e.g. Cher, short for Cheryl)
  • Do not enter nick-names
  • When changing the person's name, always enter the prior name used as an alias unless the name already exists in the record.

Marital Status

The FSO should notify VROC when an employee changes marital or cohabitation status in the following situations:

  • If there is a change in marital or cohabitation status of an employee who is in process for a clearance with an investigative basis of: Tier 5 (T5); Tier 5 R (T5R); or Phased Periodic Reinvestigation (PPR).
  • If an employee has a scheduled or open investigation type of Tier 3 (T3) and their change in marital or cohabitation status is to a foreign national only.

The FSO should submit a Recertify request to provide the notification, to include the date of the change and reason for the change, e.g., marriage. This will minimize any disruption to the investigative process. No update is required if an employee marries a foreign national when there is no open investigation unless it pertains to an SCI clearance. That change of marital or cohabitation update will occur during the next periodic reinvestigation.

The FSO should submit reports for personnel with a security clearance, in-process for a clearance, or a that have a clearance eligibility that could be reinstated, in accordance with the reporting requirements in paragraph 1-302 of the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM). JPAS provides the incident report capability to facilitate this reporting. At this time, the FSO should mark report as "final" rather than "initial".

It is strongly recommended incident reports be submitted via JPAS. The system was designed to accommodate incident reporting. Submitting incidents via JPAS provides immediate assurance of receipt and eliminates the manual handling by multiple individuals when hard copy requests are received and entered into JPAS by adjudication staff.

To facilitate quicker processing of incident reports, the report must include the basic information covering "who" (who was involved; for example: subject, law enforcement agency, court name), "what" (what is/was the incident), "where" (where did the incident happen; for example: city, state), and "when" (when did the incident occur). When submitting an incident report, refer to the questions on the SF86 relating to the incident and provide as much of the information as possible relative to those questions. An adjudicator will review the submitted report and determine if the item may be closed and a new eligibility adjudication entered, or if a partial investigation is required to provide the adjudicator sufficient information to make an adjudication. After the incident report is reviewed by the adjudicator, the FSO may receive a request for the person to submit a new SF 86, Questionnaire for National Security Positions; this does not happen in all cases. If such a request is made, the FSO should initiate the request to the employee using JPAS. If the request is not received by VROC within 30 days from the date of request, VROC will administratively withdraw the eligibility determination by changing the eligibility to Loss of Jurisdiction. At that time, all access must stop.

Sources from which an incident report may be received:

  • Facility Security Officers (FSO)
  • Other Government Agencies
  • Investigative process
  • Another CAF's decision to Deny, Revoke or Suspend a (Federal) security clearance
  • Anyone who knows the person


If there is a question on the ability for the person to have continued access when an incident report is reflected, contact the Knowledge Center for assistance.

JPAS should be used to check on the status of a pending investigation. If the FSO does not yet have access to JPAS, the status of an employee's investigation may be checked by calling the Knowledge Center. Do not call OPM for status checks.

This feature enables authorized users in one action to take mass actions. The types of mass actions include:

  1. separate (terminate) the association;
  2. separate and transfer personnel associations among multiple facility organizations (MFO);
  3. separate and transfer non-MFOs; or
  4. transfer to non-MFOs. Items 2 and 3 overlay the category and will create a history item for the action; item 4 adds an additional person category to the person's record, i.e. adds a new affiliation to the person.

After performing a mass change, a check should be completed to ensure that all actions were accomplished. If an open incident report exists or the access is suspended, the person's record will not be modified. There are additional restrictions for Key Management Personnel (KMP) since the FCL may be affected. Verify from the Ineligible Personnel list the actions that the system did not complete. Other helpful processing hints include:

  • When using the mass action capability, access downgrades are based on the organization's eligibility and not the person's eligibility. This also applies when moving access to another organization.
  • Only United States (US) and North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) accesses can be downgraded. For example, SCI access can not be downgraded in a mass action.
  • VROC receives notification when a mass personnel change is affected on an individual with an open investigation. Individuals will appear on the Ineligible Personnel List within the Mass Personnel Changes screen. Manual processing of these actions is required. No further notification to VROC is required for individuals with an open investigation.
  • Notify VROC when an action is pending on a person, e.g. pending incident report, pending adjudication and pending investigation request (not an open investigation). A Research request should be submitted on persons with pending actions to indicate the type of action that is required.
  • The Separation type "Facility Termination" should only be used when the organization's eligibility has been terminated.
  • When personnel appear on the Ineligible Personnel List and are identified as KMPs, you must complete the action by using the Add/Modify non-DoD Person screen. As a reminder, changes in the status of KMPs are still reportable to your Industrial Security Representative in accordance with the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), 1-302h item 3.
  • A history action is created for an organizational change.


The Vetting Risk Operations Center (VROC) is overhauling the RRU process and is now accepting RRU submissions via JPAS under the following three classifications:

  • RESEARCH - Reciprocity Requests. VROC will attempt to verify the eligibility via Scattered Castles / CVS prior to contacting the agency directly. If the eligibility is not verified in the available databases, a hardcopy reciprocity request will be submitted to the appropriate agency. Timeframes will vary depending on the action needed or agency response.
  • RECERTIFY - Official government requests for information from DoD CAF, DOHA or DSS such as requests for information such as name changes, marriage to foreign nationals, follow-ups to Incident Reports, etc.
  • UPGRADE - The FSO has reason to believe the eligibility line in JPAS is incorrect. Eligibility states secret but should be TS, or it has an LOJ but should be an eligibility, etc.

All other personnel security related questions and concerns should be directed to the DSS Knowledge Center at (888) 282-7682.

Other Customer Service Needs

The DSS Knowledge Center

The DSS Knowledge Center assists customers with usage of DSS-managed industrial/personnel security-related systems/applications Industrial Security Facilities Database (ISFD), National Industrial Security Program (NISP) Central Access Information Security System (NCAISS), Office of Designated Approving Authority (ODAA) Business Management System (OBMS), (system access inquiries only) and Security Training, Education and Professionalization Portal (STEPP). The Knowledge Center also provides Electronic Questionnaires for Investigations Processing (e-QIP) user support (for Industry e-QIP initiated via Vetting Risk Operations Center (VROC) and responds to inquiries regarding personnel or facility security clearances.
The Knowledge Center is closed on weekends and all federal holidays.
When calling (888) 282-7682, customers will hear the following menu options:

  1. Account Lockouts and Passwords- Office Hours: 8:00AM to 6:00PM Eastern Time
  2. Personnel Security Inquiries to include e-QIP - Office Hours: 8:00AM to 5:00PM Eastern Time
  3. Facility Clearance Inquiries - Office Hours: 8:00AM to 5:00PM Eastern Time
  4. OBMS
  5. STEPP/CDSE - Office Hours: 8:00AM - 4:00PM Eastern Time
  6. Industrial Policy International - Please send an email for after-hours information: dss.quantico.dss-hq.mbx.policyhq@mail.mil
  7. Industrial Policy - Please send an email for after-hours information: dss.quantico.dss-hq.mbx.policyhq@mail.mil


(571) 305-6015

Mailing Address:
OCIO - Knowledge Center
Russell-Knox Building
27130 Telegraph Road
Quantico, Virginia 22134
Website: http://www.dss.mil/contact/knowledge_center/

Defense Manpower Data Center’s (DMDC) Contact Center
Customer Service Hours: 6:00 am – 8:00 pm ET, Monday - Friday (excluding federal holidays)
Toll-Free Telephone: (800) 467-5526
DSN Telephone: (312) 983-9580
Menu Options

  1. DISS
  2. JPAS
  3. EQIP
  4. SWFT
  5. DCII
  6. Personnel/General Inquiry

NOTE: The Call Center is only able to 'unlock/reset' JPAS accounts for users needing to register PK log-in certificates. The Call Center cannot assist with unlocking PK log-in certificate PINs/Passwords. This assistance can be provided by your PK vendor help desk. Please see the JPAS PKI FAQs for more details.
Email: dmdc.contactcenter@mail.mil (Please see NOTE below regarding sending PII) NOTE: If you are sending sensitive information via email:
In order to protect Personal Identifiable Information (PII), please follow the instructions on the JPAS homepage to establish encryption capability with the DMDC Contact Center to ensure that your privacy is maintained: Contact Center Email Encryption.

Fax: (502) 613-1096
Please annotate “PSSAR Request” on your fax cover sheet to expedite processing
Website: https://psa.dmdc.osd.mil/psawebdocs

Vetting Risk Operations Center (VROC)

Phone: (888) 282-7682, Option 2
Fax: (443) 661-1140
Email: dss.ncr.dss-isfo.mbx.psmo-i@mail.mil
Website: http://www.dss.mil/ma/tw/dvd/vroc/

Upon separation from the organization, the FSO enters a separated date for the employee in the system. If an investigation is open for the employee, a notification will be forwarded to the appropriate CAF to determine whether the investigation needs to be cancelled. Notify VROC via Research request in JPAS or CSR in DISS when a separation occurs and either of the following two items exist. Notification will permit VROC to take appropriate actions on the record.

  • An action is pending on a person, e.g. pending incident report, pending adjudication and pending investigation request.
  • There is not an open investigation and an interim eligibility exists
  • Procedures have not yet been standardized across DoD on how to handle JPAS owning and servicing relationships when SCI access is involved.
  • The owning activity is responsible for maintaining the individual's clearance record.
  • If your organization provides the SCI indoctrination, then your organization should take the JPAS user level 2 or 3 owning relationship with the individual and the Government Activity may take a servicing relationship. This will permit both organizations to receive eligibility change notifications. If your organization does not provide the SCI indoctrination, then your organization should take a level 2 or 3 servicing relationship and the Government Activity will take the owning relationship. It is recommended that you discuss with your Government Activity the procedures they prefer.
  • When completing requests to initiate investigations, annotate the investigation request in one of the following areas to indicate the need for SCI (or SAP) adjudication. Identify the unclassified SCI/SAP name in the contract number section, or have the person identify the information in the remarks section of the Personnel Security Questionnaire.
  • For AF SCI eligibility determinations, an SCI SMO must be recorded on individual's clearance record that requires the SCI determination. Failure to reflect the SCI SMO will mean that the AF CAF will not process the request.