Risk Management Framework Information and Resources
(04/07/17) RMF Information System (IS) OBMS Submissions
Effective immediately - Submissions for IS that are updating from NISPOM regulations to NIST RMF regulations are new submissions. Industry should submit in OBMS as a new system. If Industry submits as a re-submission, DSS will reject the re-submission and direct the ISSM to submit as a new system.
(03/31/17) NAO Windows Configuration Toolkit now available
NAO has released the Windows Configuration Toolkit GPO to assist industry in the baseline technical configuration of systems using the Windows 7 (x86/x64) operating system. The tool can be accessed and downloaded via OBMS and is located in the Headquarter section of the ODAA Bulletin Board, alongside the SCAP and STIG resources. For more detailed instructions, please reference the Job Aid titled "NAO Configuration Toolkit Job Aid" located on this webpage under the "Toolkits" section.
(03/31/17) DSS Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM) V1.1 Released
The NISP Authorization Office (NAO) has released the updated DSS Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM) v1.1 effective 31 March 2017. The updated document is located on this webpage under the "Policy and Guidance" section.
NAO discontinues emailing authorization decision status updates
Effective immediately, the NISP Authorization Office (NAO) will discontinue sending emails to contractors for authorization decision updates. Industry is reminded to check OBMS for status updates and copies of the authorization decision supporting artifacts.
DSS makes SCAP content available to industry via OBMS
The DSS NISP Authorization Office (NAO), in collaboration with the Defense Information Systems Agency and the Space and Naval Warfare Systems Command, has made the Security Content Automation Protocol (SCAP) Compliance Checker available to industry via OBMS. Installation files for the SCAP Compliance Checker are posted in the "ODAA Bulletin Board" section of OBMS for all supported operating systems. For additional information, please view the updated SCAP Job Aid posted on the DSS Risk Management Framework website. Applying for sponsorship through MAX.gov is no longer necessary as all PKI-protected SCAP content is available within OBMS.
If you have questions or concerns, please contact your assigned Information Systems Security Professional (ISSP). If you encounter issues accessing the SCAP content on OBMS, contact DSS NAO at email@example.com.
(01/23/17) DSS Automated System Security Plan (SSP)
On January 23, 2017, DSS has released the new System Security Plan (SSP) template in Excel format for RMF plan submissions.
(09/29/16) DSS & NISP Partners Transition To Risk Management Framework
Effective October 3, 2016, all NISP partners and cleared industry will transition to Risk Management Framework. All expiring accreditations and requests of new accreditations for stand-alone systems must be submitted to DSS using RMF guidelines.
The DSS RMF is promulgated in the DSS Assessments and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM). The DAAPM provides guidance, templates, security controls, System Security Plan (SSP) Templates and other artifacts necessary for the RMF transition and necessary to meeting mandated implementation timelines.
This RMF Information and Resource center provides implementation guidance and procedures for the management of all facilities, networks and systems under DSS cognizance. Contact your regional Authorizing Official (AO) with questions.
(08/25/16) DSS Authorization and Assessment Process Manual (DAAPM) Release
The release of the DAAPM begins our transition of the National Industrial Security Program (NISP) Certification and Accreditation (C&A) process to Risk Management Framework (RMF). This transition will align our authorization process for cleared Industry’s classified systems with other Federal Agencies, the Intelligence Community and the Department of Defense. The intent of RMF is to improve information security, improve our risk management processes and to promote reciprocity.
Current authorizations are grandfathered and systems can continue to process under existing authorizations until expiration. See transition timeline below:
|System Type||Transition Timeline / Instructions|
|Multi-User Standalone (MUSA)/ Single-User Standalone (SUSA)||
|Local Area Network (LAN)/ Wide Area Network (WAN)||Phase 1: Continue using the current C&A process with the latest version of the ODAA Process Manual. ATO will last no greater than 18 months starting October 3, 2016.
Phase 2: Execute RMF Assessment and Authorization process through the DAAPM. (Timeline TBD.)
Everyone is encouraged to review DAAPM, templates and job aids below in preparation for the transitioning of Single User and Multi-User Standalones to RMF effective October 3, 2016.
Policy and Guidance
- DSS Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM) v1.1
- Summary of Changes to the DSS Assessment and Authorization Process Manual (DAAPM)
- National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual
- NIST 800-53 Security & privacy Controls for Federal Information Systems and Organizations
- ODAA Process Manual
- JSIG Guidance for Special Access Programs (SAP)
- Committee on National Security Systems Instruction (CNSSI) 1253 (March 2014)
- DoD 8510.01 Risk Management Framework for DoD Information Technology
- UPDATED RMF Excel SSP Version 1.1
- National Industrial Security Program Authorization Office (NAO) Homepage
- Getting Started with Risk Management Framework (October 2016)
- NISPOM to NIST 800-53v4 Security Control Mapping (May 2016)
- Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M) Job Aid
- Plan of Action and Milestones (POA&M)
- SCAP Compliance Checker & DISA STIG Viewer
- DISA STIG Viewer
- System Security Plan Template (October 2016)
- System Security Plan Template Appendices (April 2017)
- ISSM-ISSO Appointment Letter Template
- Risk Assessment Report Template (September 2016)
- Introduction to the Risk Management Framework
- Getting Started with the SCAP compliance checker and STIG Viewer
- Applying the Risk Management Framework to Federal Information Systems
- DSS RMF Training Slides (August 2016)