Limited Access Authorizations (LAAs) for Non-U.S. Citizens
Non-U.S. citizens do not qualify for a security clearance. However, if a non-U.S. citizen requires access to U.S. classified information and meets the requirements of paragraph 2-209 and 2-210 of the National Industrial Security Program Operating Manual (NISPOM), a Limited Access Authorization (LAA), no higher than the Secret level, may be issued. Before the request can be processed, a Letter of Justification (LOJ) must be obtained from the User Agency containing the following information:
- The individual's name, date and place of birth, position title, and current citizenship.
- A statement that a qualified U.S. citizen cannot be hired in sufficient time to meet the contractual requirements.
- A statement of the unusual expertise possessed by the applicant.
- A statement that access will be limited to a specific government contract (specify contract number).
- A list of the specific material to which access is proposed (delineate as precisely as possible and identify any other government contracting activity (GCA) that may have jurisdiction over any of the material, if applicable).
- A statement that the classified information to be accessed is releasable to the individual's country of citizenship (disclosure determination) or that an export license has been obtained.
The LOJ must be sent to the DSS International Division. Double-wrap and address both sides of the inner envelope "Eyes only, International Division." Address the outer envelope: DSS International Division, 27130 Telegraph Road, Quantico, VA 22134-2253.
The SF86 should be electronically submitted as an SSBI request for an LAA even though "Secret" is the highest level of access permitted. It is also suggested that you note in the "Remark" block on the OPM form that the LOJ was submitted to the DSS International Division.
A hard copy of the form and proof of foreign citizenship (i.e. passport) should be included with the LOJ sent to DSS International Division.
In addition, if Subject is a citizen of the U.K., Germany, or Denmark, and has lived in his country of citizenship within the past ten years, separate security forms for these countries may need to be completed as well. Contact the number below to obtain forms.
If no U.S. classified access is needed but the subject requires area access, the request must be electronically submitted on the SF85P Form by the User Agency.
If you have any additional questions regarding LAAs, please contact the DSS International Division at 855-834-0375.