The Defense Security Service Civil Liberties program defends and preserves the individual rights and liberties that the Constitution and laws of the United States guarantees everyone in this country.
Some of these rights include:
- The freedoms of speech, association and assembly; the freedoms of the press and of religion. (First Amendment)
- The right to keep and bear arms. (Second Amendment)
- The protection against illegal government intrusion into your personal and private affairs. (Fourth Amendment)
- The right to due process of law whenever the loss of your liberty or property is at stake. (Fifth Amendment)
- Civil liberties are fundamental rights and freedoms protected by the Constitution of the United States.
- The Defense Security Service will protect the civil liberties of its personnel and the public to the greatest extent possible, consistent with its operational requirements.
- The Defense Security Service will appropriately consider civil liberties in the review, development, and implementation of new or existing laws, regulations, policies, and initiatives related to homeland defense, intelligence collection, and law enforcement activities.
- No information shall be maintained on how an individual exercises rights protected by the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States, including the freedoms of speech, assembly, press and religion, except as follows:
- When specifically authorized by statute.
- When expressly authorized by the individual, group of individuals, or association on whom the record is maintained.
- When the record is pertinent to and within the scope of an authorized law enforcement activity.
References and Resources
- §803 (Civil Liberties), Public Law 110-53, August 3, 2007
- Department of Defense Civil Liberties Program Home Page
DSS Civil Liberties Point of Contact: DSS Inspector General
- Toll Free Hotline: (855) 865-1508
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
DSS Chief Civil Liberties Officer: DSS General Counsel
- Telephone: 571/305-6749
- Email: DSS.OGC@dss.mil
The DSS Inspector General and DSS General Counsel are both located at DSS Headquarters at:
27130 Telegraph Road
Quantico, VA 22134-225