National Industrial Security System (NISS)
NISS is DSS’ future information system architecture and will replace Industrial Security Facilities Database (ISFD) and Electronic Facilities Clearance System (e-FCL) capabilities to develop an on-demand, data-driven environment with automated workflows accessible to Industry and Government partners.
NISS is being developed and released in increments, allowing users to experience benefits quickly. The initial increment of NISS will replace and expand upon capabilities of two legacy systems, ISFD and e-FCL, and automate the Initial Facility Clearance process. This increment will also provide expanded access and transparency to security professionals’ facility information. Increment 1 will be followed by additional enhancements to the system’s functionality and integration, ultimately automating many core DSS and Industry security functions.
NISS solution has been developed in-line with Deputy Chief Management Officer (DCMO) requirements to maximize value while minimizing costs. DSS conducted Business Process Reengineering (BPR) of 22 core DSS functions to create streamlined and efficient workflows. The BPR efforts engaged over 300 DSS, Industry, and Government stakeholders to generate true system requirements tied to optimized business processes with milestones outlined below:
- 2013 – 2015: Conducted Business Process Reengineering on 22 Operational Processes while developing system requirements.
- September 2015: DSS awarded the Technical Development contract.
- September 2015 – Present: Developing NISS technical solution.
- Q4 FY2017: Scheduled NISS deployment.
- FY2018 and Beyond: Additional capabilities and functionality will be deployed.
NISS is a top DSS priority and will modernize the National Industrial Security Program (NISP) Information Environment and provide the USG and Industry stakeholders with a data-driven, collaborative, integrated capability to assess and mitigate risk.
- Increased transparency for Industry and Government stakeholders
- Ability for stakeholders to review facility clearance information, requests, communications, and results with DSS in one location
- Expedited performance against classified contracts
- Streamlined business processes, including facility clearance (FCL) processing
- Enhanced FOCI mitigation processing
- Improved processing of information system approvals
- Automatic notifications and alerts
- Upcoming security vulnerability assessments (SVA) alerts, reminders for outstanding submissions to DSS
- Dashboard feature
- Ability to monitor and track tasks and view real time facility data
- History of facility security information
- Ability to review company’s results, documentation, and interactions with DSS
- Utilizes Single Sign-On (SSO) Capabilities (NCAISS)
- Reporting features and capabilities
- Role based access to information
September 1, 2016 Initial Update
The development of NISS is underway! Increment 1, which consists of replacing the Industrial Security Facilities Database (ISFD), the Electronic Facility Clearance System (e-FCL), and enhancing the Facility Clearance (FCL) process, is scheduled to deploy in Q4 FY2017. A robust testing period including DSS, Government, and Industry personnel will begin in June 2017. We will update this website if there are any changes to the schedule.
Additional functionality to include enhancing the Security Vulnerability Assessment (SVA) process, submitting Suspicious Contact Reports, requesting Safeguarding approvals, and mobile capabilities will be deployed in future increments.